On May 8, the University of Arizona – School of Theatre, Film & Television took over the Cactus Drive-In to present I Dream in Widescreen, where we celebrated the premiere of thesis films created by our Film & Television Class of 2021. Every last spot at the Drive-In was filled as students, cast, crew, faculty, friends, family, and community members gathered in cars, on rooftops, and in lawn chairs to watch stories of love, family dramas, a paranormal investigation, an intergalactic music video and more.
At the end of the evening, host and Loft Cinema program director Jeff Yanc announced the awards as selected by our esteemed panel of jurors including Mike Plante (’94), Senior Programmer for Short Film at the Sundance Film Festival, Nicholas Snell (’14), screenwriter and A/V coordinator for Lucasfilm, and film critic and journalist Katie Walsh (Los Angeles Times, IndieWire, Vanity Fair).
The awards were distributed as follows:
- The Film Tucson New Filmmaker Award: Hannah Lee for Crushing Dandelions
- The Pollution Studios Award for Excellence in Screenwriting: Atlas Woods-Smith for Fallacy
- The Monsoon Production Services Award for Excellence in Cinematography: Chance Roberts for Treasures Beneath My Tree
- The UA Hanson FilmTV Institute Award for Excellence in Producing: Matthew Potwardowski for One-Way Mirror
- The UA Hanson FilmTV Institute Award for Excellence in Production Design: Mackenzie Giguere for Where the Rotting Lemons Fall
- The Adobe Award for Excellence in Title Design: Atreyu and Jonathan Hasenstab for Tebanasu, and Stephen Morand for Scripture & Scholarship
- The Adobe Award for Excellence in Editing: Atreyu and Jonathan Hasenstab for Tebanasu, and Pablo Perez for En La Cuna De Mi Madre
- The Adobe Award for Excellence in Sound Design: Elsa Ryder for Acceptance, and Gage Judd for Lucid Dreamers
More information on the films and the prizes can be found online at: idiw.tftv.arizona.edu/2021-awards/.
Miss out on the in-person event? All of the films from I Dream in Widescreen are available to stream for FREE through May 22 via The Loft Cinema at loftcinema.org.
Special thank you to our sponsors for helping make this event possible: Craig Huston, Film Tucson, Monsoon Production Services, Adobe, Pollution Studios, Hanson FilmTV Institute, and The Loft Cinema.