UA Hanson FilmTV Institute and TFTV is pleased to announce the second Sundance Film Festival Student Trip from January 20-27, 2024, available for 10 BFA and BA students.
The purpose of the trip would be to give the cohort the most enriched and intensive experience of the Festival, with the aim of providing an offer that can advance your early careers post-graduation, through potential work experience and knowledge of the film festival landscape and how it fits into the lifecycle of film and television projects.
Students will attend film screenings and have access to events, panels and networking socials, as well as roundtables discussions with professionals at the Festival.
Shared room accommodation in multi-bedroom condo with two faculty chaperones, festival accreditation, meals and ground transportation in Utah will be fully funded by the Hanson FilmTV Institute.
Students will be responsible for round trip travel to and from Salt Lake City, Utah (approximately $450-$500 for a fully refundable ticket).
Scholarships based on financial need are available to be applied toward the airfare for Sundance. Students interested in applying should also submit a one-page separate scholarship request with the general application materials.
A Festival accreditation package will include the following:
Sundance Ignite Festival Package presented by Adobe:
- 10 tickets to in-person premieres and repeat screenings with early access to ticket selections before general public single-film ticket sales
- Five free redeemable vouchers for online film tickets only — presented by Adobe
- Access to Ignite package-holder events, panels, networking socials, receptions and more
- All online Explorer Pass benefits, including Short Film and Indie Episodic programs
Additional activities will include:
- Daily sessions with Hanson FilmTV Director on the innerworkings of the Festival and the parts that each of the teams play in presenting the Sundance FF overall
- Screenings, roundtables and meet-and-greet opportunities with filmmakers and professionals conducting business at Sundance 2023 to learn more about what they do at the Festival
Accepted students can also earn one unit of academic credit.
WHEN: Saturday January 20th – Saturday January 27th 2024
WHO: Open to 10 BFA & BA students
- Must be at least 18 years old by December 1, 2023, and be a part-time or full-time undergraduate major or minor or graduate FTV student during the spring 2024 semester. No December 2023 graduates are eligible.
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.75 overall and in the major.
- Must agree to volunteer 25 hours with shift times assigned by the Festival so as not to overlap with Sundance Ignite events, workshops and seminars exclusively available for students.
**We would also ask, for the overall safety of the travelling cohort, that those selected be willing to provide a negative Covid-19 test result prior to travelling to Park City.
To apply for the Sundance Film Festival Student Trip, a general application must be received no later than Friday, October 6th. It must comprise a one-page resume of your experience and a one-page cover letter detailing how this Sundance opportunity would benefit your career aspirations and goals. Email your application to Hanson FilmTV Director Mia Farrell at email@example.com. An interview may also be required.
This opportunity is extremely competitive, so please do give us a sense of how you would look to make the most out of this trip. We look forward to hearing from you!
The formal selection process will be decided by the Hanson FilmTV Director in collaboration with faculty members. Applicants will be notified of the panel’s final decision by Friday, October 20th.
You can explore the 2023 Sundance Film Festival Program here: https://festival.sundance.org/