What’s Up, Docs? 2021, the School of Theatre, Film & Television’s annual showcase of outstanding new short documentary films created by BA and BFA students, will cover diverse subjects and styles, exploring topics that are current, newsworthy, poignant, funny and sublime.
Here are a few samples of what you can expect at the next What’s Up, Docs? showcase.
- It’s A Worm’s World showcases Tucson’s worm fanatics as they pursue the creation of the perfect compost, with outstanding animation from the UA School of Art.
- Sleek and stylish, Something To Fear follows the journey of top basketball recruit Kennedy Brown as she battles the forces against her–as well as her own demons–as she makes her way to the top.
- The Dunbar Effect reveals two generations of educators looking to preserve the history of one of Tucson’s formerly all-black schools.
- The Piccolo Trombone follows student Zack Richardson on his comedic quest to understand where this curious instrument came from and why anyone would possibly use it.
- Double Standard is a hard-hitting look at the glaringly different codes of conduct applied by male fraternities vs. female sororities on the UA campus and across the country.
- A feast for the ears, The Sound brings the audience inside the studio of local songwriter Sophia Rankin as she works with her band on a captivating new song.
The screening is FREE to attend and will be followed by a Q&A with the filmmakers. Space is limited.
What’s Up, Docs? is the final event in the inaugural Arizona Signature Series by Arizona Arts, a curation of some of the division’s most engaging fall programs.
Please review The Loft Cinema’s safety protocols before arriving to the event: https://loftcinema.org/about/covid/
The films will also premiere online at our YouTube channel at the same time!Watch on YouTube