The Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Arts (BA Theatre) is designed to provide students with a well-rounded experience in theatre through a curriculum that includes a core of introductory courses in acting, directing, technical theatre, dramatic literature and theatre history. Students gain practical and theoretical experience through required courses in design and technology, performance, and history and dramaturgy. Sample electives include additional courses in those areas allowing for students to focus in one or continue study in all three. Graduates of the BA Theatre program are prepared for a lifetime of appreciation, participation and further study in the theatre arts.
Students in the BA Theatre gain knowledge and understanding of
- the relationship of dramatic text to theatrical production
- the history of theatre and culture
- the working practices and standards in the American professional theatre
- theatre's role in the community
Students in the BA Theatre are prepared to
- reflect on dramatic text for the purposes of stage production
- communicate artistic intent through acting, directing, design, and/or research
- collaborate within a production team
- organize time, human and financial resources to facilitate the theatrical production process
Courses in principles of dramatic structure, dramatic literature, theatre history and dramaturgy.
Courses in acting, improvisation, beginning directing and devised theatre.
Courses in stagecraft, costume, introduction to design and stage management.
Students in the BA Theatre are encouraged to participate in the Studio Series season. The Studio Series is dedicated to supporting original, contemporary, and experimental pieces of performance through a “bare essentials” production format that draws primary focus to the artistic and intellectual labor of theatre students. Its community-centered, people-generated approach to performance provides creative learning opportunities for student artists, thought-provoking experiences for audiences, and occasions for productive dialogue around topics relevant to student populations and the broader Tucson community.
For specific information about course requirements for the BA in Theatre, click here.
To apply to BA Theatre, see the BA Theatre admission website.