Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

#1.  Q. What is an advisement report, and how do I find mine?

A. Your UAccess advisement report is a computerized degree audit advisement report in UAccess, through which you should check regularly, especially after registration for classes. The advisement report checks courses for which you are registered or have completed against the requirements of your program(s) and provides an audit report. You must bring a printout of your advisement report whenever you see your advisor (except Swanson). Become familiar with your report before your advising appointment. To get your advisement report, from your UAccess Student Center, click on "My Academics", and then on "View my advisement report".  When the report appears, choose "View report as PDF" and print all pages. (Make sure pop-ups are enabled in your browser to view the report.) If you have questions about your advisement report, make an appointment with your advisor, or with advisor Christina Beasley.

#2.  Q. How do I find out the registration dates and deadlines for a semester?

A. Click on this link: Dates & Deadlines, then choose the appropriate semester.

#3.  Q. What is my class standing at UA?

A. Class standing at UA is based on completion of units, as follows:

  • Freshman 0-29 units
  • Sophomore 30-59 units
  • Junior 60-89 units
  • Senior 90+ units

Units in progress do not count toward your class standing. Your priority registration dates each semester are determined by your UA class standing/status. Honors students, veterans, and student athletes may have an earlier registration period. To see your class standing from UAccess, click on "My Academics". Your status will be listed on the right side of the resulting webpage.

#4.  Q. What is a course syllabus?

A. A syllabus is a written contract between the instructor and the students in a course, and is provided by the instructor at the beginning of the semester for each course. The syllabus gives the rules that students must follow in order to be successful in the course, including how much each assignment, paper, quiz, exam, etc. is worth toward the final course grade. Usually a class-by-class schedule is given, including due dates for assignments and papers, and dates of quizzes (except pop quizzes) and exams. The course syllabus also gives contact information and office hours for the instructor(s). It is every student's responsibility to keep track of the information in the syllabus, including due dates and deadlines -- even if the instructor does not remind you of these dates during class!

#5.  Q. Where can I find information about scholarships?

A.  See the Film & Television Scholarship website or the Theatre Scholarship website. These websites offer information about specific departmental scholarships and resources, as well as links to general UA funding sources.

#6.  Q. How can I speak to a professor outside of class time?

A. There are generally three ways to contact a professor:

  • Appear in person at the professor's office during his/her office hours
  • Email the professor
  • Telephone the professor

Your professor's contact information and office hours are generally listed on the course syllabus.

#7.  Q. Can I take UA courses on a pass/fail basis toward my degree?

A. It depends. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis cannot count toward any general education, major, or minor requirements. In addition, any student taking a UA course on a pass/fail basis must also be registered for a minimum of 12 units of regularly graded courses during that semester.
A note about taking foreign language courses on a pass/fail basis -- To complete the foreign language requirement for your degree, you must complete either 2nd semester proficiency or 4th semester proficiency. Here's a chart that tells you what is possible, using the Spanish language as an example:
SPAN 101 (1st semester) -- MAY be taken pass/fail
SPAN 102 (2nd semester) -- may NOT be taken pass/fail -- must be graded; must earn a minimum grade of "C" to complete requirement
SPAN 201 (3rd semester) -- MAY be taken pass/fail
SPAN 202 (4th semester) -- may NOT be taken pass/fail -- must be graded; must earn a minimum grade of "C" to complete requirement

#8.  Q. What is GRO (Grade Replacement Opportunity), and how do I file for it?

A. GRO offers students the ability to replace grades of C, D, and E by repeating the course. GRO is only available to some undergraduate students -- see the GRO policy website to find out if you qualify. The deadlines for filing for GRO are strict (governed by the UA Registrar's Office), and filing must be done through UAccess. For details on the filing process and deadlines, see the GRO website.

#9.  Q. What is a senior degree check and when do I have to do one?

A. A senior degree check is a review of your academic records based on your catalog year, done in your final year. You should meet with Dr. Beasley to apply for your senior degree check, one semester prior to graduation. Once your degree check is completed (with all appropriate signatures), you become a candidate for your degree. For more information see the Applying for Degree Candidacy website.

#10.  Q. What is the math requirement for majors in the School of Theatre, Film & Television?

A. If your primary major is in the School of Theatre, Film & Television, then to complete the math requirement you must either (1) achieve an appropriate score on the Math AP test [taken in high school], or (2) complete one of the following UA courses:

  • MATH 105 (Math in Modern Society)
  • MATH 109C, 110 or 112 (College Algebra) or higher
  • PHIL 110 (Logic and Critical Thinking)

It is possible to transfer a course from another institution to meet this requirement. The Course Equivalency Guide shows the transferability of courses from Arizona community colleges and universities to the University of Arizona. Courses taken at an institution outside the state of Arizona must be approved by the appropriate department at UA (Math or Philosophy) in order to complete the math requirement. See the Math Transfer website for details on the math course approval process. Contact Philosophy advisor Laura Howard at for approval for PHIL 110 [if an equivalent is not already specified in the Course Equivalency Guide].

#11.  Q. Do I need to take a second language for a degree in Theatre, Film & Television?

A. Yes. In order to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree, you must complete 4th semester proficiency (with a minimum grade of "C") in a second language. To graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, you must complete 2nd semester proficiency (with a minimum grade of "C") in a second language. Language proficiency exams are offered before New Student Orientation, and are also offered during the Fall/Spring semesters. See the Language Proficiency Exam website for more information. It is possible to transfer course(s) from another institution to meet this requirement. The Course Equivalency Guide shows the transferability of courses from Arizona community colleges and universities to the University of Arizona. Courses taken at an institution outside the state of Arizona must be approved by the UA department offering the language.

#12.  Q. Do I need to complete a minor in addition to my major?

A. It depends on which degree you are pursuing. The Bachelor of Arts degree DOES require a minor. The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree DOES NOT require a minor (though you may complete a minor if you like). A minor in a Film & Television degree cannot include FTV courses. A minor in a Theatre degree cannot include TAR courses. See the online Academic Catalog for a listing of available minors.

#13.  Q. Can I double major?

A. Yes. You can pursue a double major in a degree program when the degree title (BA, BFA, etc.) is the same. If you have a double major, a minor is not required in that degree. Your primary major department is the department that determines your general education and other degree requirements. Your secondary major department may only advise you on that major's requirements. If the degree titles (BA, BFA, etc.) are different, then you will be pursuing two degrees, not a double major. If one of your degrees requires a minor, then that minor must be in an area unrelated to the subject of your other degree. (Exception: Students in degree programs in the College of Fine Arts and the Eller College of Management may choose to pursue the Business Administration minor for their Fine Arts degree.)

#14.  Q. Are FTV and TAR courses available during the summer sessions?

A. Yes. Any UA student may enroll in FTV and/or TAR courses (except FTV 493 Internship) in the Summer Sessions. During Summer, all lower-division (100/200 level) FTV and TAR courses are available via UAccess registration. Upper-division (300/400 level) FTV courses in Summer are available to any UA student, but students must request registration by contacting Marissa Owens at

#15.  Q. Are FTV or TAR courses available during the Winter session?

A. Usually not, though sometimes we will offer FTV 252 (Intro to Film Styles & Genres), an online Tier 2 Arts course for non-FTV majors.

#16.  Q. Are online FTV or TAR courses available at UA?

A. Yes, but usually not in regular (Fall and Spring) semesters. We periodically offer the following courses online in Summer: FTV 100A, FTV 100B, FTV 200, FTV 252, TAR 145. Registration is available to all UA students via UAccess.

#17.  Q. Can I take courses for my UA degree at Pima Community College, or at another institution?

A. Yes. General education equivalents and other courses that may count in your major are available at Pima, or at other institutions within the state of Arizona. To see how courses will transfer to UA, go to the Course Equivalency Guide. Choose the institution and the course department at that institution.

For out-of-state courses, you must go through the several-step preapproval process listed on the Transfer Credit Preapproval website.

In order for a course from another institution to be acceptable for transfer to UA, you must take the course on a graded basis (not pass/fail), and you must earn a minimum grade of "C". Though the credits transfer (if the course is acceptable for transfer), the grade will not affect your UA GPA (grade-point-average). Only courses taken at UA may count toward your UA GPA. A maximum of 64 units total can be transferred from 2-year institutions. Also keep in mind that a minimum of 18 of the last 30 units earned toward your degree must be taken in residence at UA. See your advisement report on UAccess for additional information.

#18.  Q. How do I transfer a course to UA?

A. Once you have completed course(s) at another institution that you would like to transfer to UA, you must request an official transcript to be sent from that institution to UA. Continuing UA students should have their transcript sent to the following address:

     The University of Arizona
     Transcript Evaluation
     Admin Bldg Rm 210
     PO Box 210066
     Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

Once the University has received your official transcript, it can take 2-4 weeks (depending on the time of year) for the courses to show up on your UA record. You can check on UAccess (under "Transfer Credit: Report") to see when/if your transfer courses have been posted.

#19.  Q. Can I receive internship credit through UA?

A. Yes, if you meet the prerequisites. Internships are designed for upper division students with an eye toward providing professional and practical experience. For FTV internship, students must have completed FTV 100A, 100B, 200, 210, 270, and 303, must have a minimum UA GPA of 2.5, and must follow the instructions at the FTV Internship website. For TAR internship, students must follow the instructions at the TAR Internship website. Students who do not qualify for FTV or TAR internship may still be able to get internship through the UA, by following the instructions on the CLAS Internships website.

#20.  Q. May I take an overload (more than 19 units) in a Fall or Spring semester?

A. Yes, if your cumulative UA GPA is at or above 3.0.  In order to register for additional class(es) that would total more than 19 units, you must fill out and turn in a Change of Schedule form (available in the departmental office or downloadable at this website) to the College of Fine Arts Dean's Office in the Music Building Room 111 (phone 520-621-1302).  If the class you wish to add requires departmental consent or is currently closed, you must get the instructor's signature on the Change of Schedule form before taking it to the Dean's Office.

If you have advising questions not answered here, please email advisor Dr. Christina Beasley at